We met up again with out supervisor today.
The aim of this meeting was to discuss the metrics our app would gather. After a lengthy discussion we came up with: Conversions/Turnovers of possession, Goals/Points, Wides and Tackles.
He instructed us to set up another meeting when we had a functioning prototype.
A lot of my time in January was taken up studying for exams but any spare time I had was spent working on the initial stages of the project.
We decided to use Codeigniter (https://ellislab.com/codeigniter) as the php framework to develop the server side code. We choose Codeigniter because there are some great tutorials online and the documentation is very thorough.
We decided to use Bootstrap (http://getbootstrap.com) as the front end framework. We decided to use bootstrap because of its wide industry use and the abundance of tutorials and templates that can be used to speed up development.
After a bit of research I decided to install NetBeans (https://netbeans.org/) as the IDE to develop the project. I also set up MAMP (http://www.mamp.info/en/) so that I could develop and test the server side code locally.
We finished exams on the 23rd and met up on the 26th to restart the work on the project.
We set up a meeting with our supervisor, Mark Roantree for the 5th of Feb.
During the month of December the sheer amount of work due for other modules resulted the the project being put on the back-burner temporarily.
Conor and I decided we would be more productive with our time if we both picked an aspect of the project and build up some technical proficiency in that area. Conor decided to focus more on the Android side and I started to learn the web technologies that we would need to implement the web side of things.
I spent any free time I had learning the basics of php and researching potentially useful libraries, templates and frameworks.
Tomorrow we are scheduled to give our presentation to staff. Unfortunately I’m in work at the time we are scheduled for so Conor will have to give the presentation on his own.
For the last three days we have been working non-stop to polish off the presentation. I have used photoshop to develop a prototype UI to give the members off staff an idea of what it will be like to use.
Data input view:
Data representation view:
Today Conor and I met with Mark Roantree to pitch him our project idea. Mark thought that our original idea didn’t have enough work involved for two people. We were eager to have him as a supervisor so we discussed other potential ideas.
He suggested that we build a real time sports statistics application. Conor is an avid hurler and I have a background in GAA myself so we agreed to take the project on.
The aim of the app is to collect detailed statistics on a match from the sideline and display the information in real time. This data can be used as a basis for managerial decisions throughout the game.
We met today in L125 to finish off working on the Functional Spec. At this stage we had all the information in there that we needed we just wanted to refine things slightly and then make the finished document more visually appealing.
Conor’s GAA club Whitehall Colmcille agreed to test out our application with their senior hurling team when we had a working prototype. We feel like this will be very beneficial especially when it comes to refining the user interface.
Our second time meeting up to work on the functional spec. we downloaded the template from loop and used that as a basis to write our own. We continued to refine the requirements we discussed in our last meeting and based the documentation off this.
We discussed potential 3rd party libraries we could use for the android side and the web side. We found a plotting library called Android plot that seems to do what we need.
We also spent time discussing the cloud aspect of the app. We drew up some use cases to get a better understanding of how the user will interact with the finished product.
Today we had our first meeting to discuss the functional specifications of the project. We spent the majority of the meeting discussing possible functionality.
We wrote down a list of all the features we would like to include and then we assigned a priority to each of them. This priority would help us decide what order to implement features later on.
The most basic functionality is for the app to take in user input and then graph out the results in an easy to understand manner. Since the data is being captured in real time our priority is to make everything as quick and as easy as possible.